SITUATIONS THAT DO NOT NEED TOURIST VISA TO ENTER TO COSTA RICA
Nationals of countries that require a VISA to enter Costa Rica are NO LONGER REQUIRED TO APPLY FOR THE VISA if:
- You have a tourist, visa, crew visa or business visa (multiple entry) from the UNITED STATES OF AMERICA, CANADA, JAPON, SOUTH KOREA, SCHENGEN VISA and / or any country of the EUROPEAN UNION. Note: This visa must be stamped in the passport and must be valid for at least three months.
- You have permanent residence, a student visa (F1, J1), a work visa (H1B, G4, etc.) or refugee status in the UNITED STATES OF AMERICA and / or any country the EUROPEAN UNION and CANADA. Note 1: This type of visa must be stamped in the passport and must be valid for at least six months. Note 2: Permanent residents must submit their residence card, which must be valid for at least six months. Note 3: The residence stamped on the passport, parole or work cards are not accepted and therefore people who possess these need to apply for a visa at the Consulate of their jurisdiction.
Your passport must be valid for at least six months from the date of entry into the country and once in Costa Rica, you can remain for a maximum of 30 calendar days, An extension of the stay must be requested at the Office of Migration in Costa Rica.
If you don't comply with any of the above requirements please make an appointment at the Consulate of your jurisdiction to request the visa. On the day of your appointment, you must come in person and submit the following documents:
- A visa request letter addressed to the Consul of Costa Rica containing the following details: full name, nationality, passport number, home address, purpose of your trip, length of your trip, place and date of arrival and departure, profession or occupation, exact address in Costa Rica, date and place of birth, fax number for notifications or email, date of the request and signature.
- Application form. This is an official document, therefore only application forms issued at Consulates of Costa Rica or from this website are accepted.
- A passport valid for at least 6 months and photocopy of the entire passport.
- Your itineray or a temporary reservation of your ticket. It is recommended that airline tickets not be purchased until your visa has been aprroved.
- Proof of solid economic status (bank account statements, salary, statements, etc) for the last three months.
- Police record issued within the last six months authenticated by the Secretary of State under "Apostille". (Translated into Spanish)
- One color photograph (2x2 inches).
- Proof of legal status in the United States (green card) or tourist visa, study visa, work permit, etc. Visas will only be issued to individuals with a legal status in the United States. Individuals who do not meet these requirements should apply for a visa in their country of origin.
- The Consulate may require additional documents.
PROVIDING THE DOCUMENTS LISTED ABOVE DOES NOT MEAN THAT YOU WILL RECEIVE THE VISA. IF YOUR VISA IS DENIED, YOU WILL HAVE TO WAIT SIX MONTHS IN ORDER TO APPLY AGAIN.
Cost: In case the visa is approved, it will cost $ 32.00 non-refundable. Please read payment methods in the various Consulates of Costa Rica in United States
Processing time: You have to make an appointment in the Consulate of your jurisdiction, If your application is approved, the day of your appointment you will get the visa stamped in your passport.